TAKE A TRIP THROUGH HISTORY
Experience more than 160 years of railroad and Civil War history at Tunnel Hill Heritage Center and Museum. Start in the museum with a trip through Tunnel Hill’s history as you examine the unique artifacts on display.
Explore a true engineering marvel: the Western & Atlantic Railroad Tunnel. Completed in 1850, it was the first major railroad tunnel in the South and the first through the Appalachian Mountains. Take the guided tour to see original drill marks made during the construction of the tunnel and see where the Civil War’s “Great Locomotive Chase” came through in 1862.
Walk in the footsteps of Union and Confederate soldiers as you step into the historic Clisby Austin House which was used as a Confederate field hospital in 1862-1863 and as a headquarters for Union General William T. Sherman in May of 1864 as he planned his famous Atlanta Campaign.
- Final connection point between Chattanooga and Atlanta, connecting 137 miles of railroad tracks.
- Excavation began in July & August of 1848 on both sides of the mountain.
- Tunnel is 1,477 feet long; the western construction crew dug 502 feet and the eastern crew dug 975 feet.
- First train entered tunnel May 9. 1850.
- Tunnel was used to film scenes in Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019)
- House was constructed in 1848 by Reverend Clisby Austin.
- House and grounds were converted into an army field hospital during the Civil War.
- Used as General William T. Sherman’s headquarters when planning the Atlanta Campaign.
- House was used to film scenes in From A Whisper to A Scream (1987) with Vincent Price and My Brother’s War (2005).
TAKE OUR ONLINE GOOGLE CLASSROOM TOUR!
While our museum is currently closed to the general public, we are still here to take you on a trip through the history of North Georgia! We’ve created a Google Classroom guided tour for history lovers of all ages with interactive quizzes, texts, and videos telling the stories of the historic Western & Atlantic Railroad Tunnel, The Great Locomotive Chase, The Clisby Austin House – which was used by General Sherman as a temporary headquarters before his March to Atlanta – and more.
Purchasing your ticket on Eventbrite will also give you a coupon for a $3.00 discount on a guided tour when we reopen. If you’re a teacher purchasing tickets for students, please contact Natalia Williams at NWilliams@VisitDaltonGA.com for special access.
Guided Tour: $12.00*
Self-guided Tour: $7.00
Group Pricing: $7.00
Children Ages 4 & Under: Free
*For the health & safety of both our guests and staff, we ask those taking guided tours to wear a facial mask or covering at all times during the tour.
LIMITED TIME ONLINE CLASS: $5.00
Monday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Tuesday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Wednesday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Thursday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Saturday – 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Sunday – Closed